«SME Sector SME Finance Focus Group Meeting at Bahawalpur, Faisalabad and Peshawar Export Finance Scheme guidelines Awareness Sessions at ...»
Development Finance Newsletter
Farmers Financial Literacy & Awareness Seminar at Peshawar
Technologies (R & D) for Rice Sector at Gujranwala
Policy Adequacy Seminar on Agri financing at Muzaffarabad
SME Finance Focus Group Meeting at Bahawalpur, Faisalabad
Export Finance Scheme guidelines Awareness Sessions at
SME Fair and Financial Expo 2012 at Lahore
Five days training program on Microfinance at Peshawar and Lahore Microfinance Focus Group Meeting at Sukkur Seminar on Credit Proposal Analysis at Multan Miscellaneous Activities Awareness session on currency notes and prize bonds at Sialkot, Hyderabad and Sukkur Banking Exhibition cum Seminar on Development Finance at Muzaffarabad Lecture on Development Finance-APCOMS at Rawalpindi Five Days Training Program on “Monitoring & Evaluation-- Impact Assessment Techniques “at NIBAF Islamabad Development Finance Support Department State Bank of Pakistan - Banking Services Corporation Development Finance News Letter June 2012 The Team Amjad Manzoor Director, DFSD HOK Amjad.Manzoor@sbp.org.pk Riaz Afzal J.J.D DFSD HOK Riaz.Afzal@sbp.org.pk Riffat Nazir Sulehri Sr. DCM DFD, SBPBSC Lahore Riffat.Sulehri@sbp.org.pk Ayesha Sadef DFO, AFU, SBPBSC Lahore Ayesha.Sadef@sbp.org.pk Ghulam Mohyuddin DFO, AFU, SBPBSC Lahore Ghulam.Mohyuddin@sbp.org.pk The Team Page - i Development Finance News Letter June 2012 Table of Contents No. Contents Page No.
1. Message from the Director DFSD iii
2. Agriculture Sector 1-4
3. SME Sector 5-7
4. Microfinance Sector 8-9
6. Miscellaneous Activities 10-13
7. Annexure A Table of Contents Page - ii Development Finance News Letter June 2012 Message from the Director DFSD Activities of AFUs during the month of May 2012 at a glance confirm that the focuse remained at monitoring agriculture related targets. AC&MFD has recently released agriculture indicative targets vs achievements data for the period ended May 2012, according to which, out of Rs.285 billion allocated targets, around 90% has been achieved, as compared to 80% in the same period last year. This is quite encouraging results amid general slowdown in the economic, unfavorable business environment, low credit off take by private sector etc. In this regard, efforts of our AFUs units are appreciable who remained vigilant throughout the year in persuading banks and provided important feedback to AC&MFD.
Further, as you know that the Impact Assessment Survey is now a regular feature of AFUs activities. In order to bring further improvement and efficacy of assessment reports, DFSD, during the month, has organized a five days training program on “Monitoring & Evaluation—Impact Assessment Techniques” at NIBAF, Islamabad for its filed offices. I hope that this would enable AFUs to work more resourcefully as well as in line with the international best practices.
In addition, during the period under review, different events have also been organized across field offices which include awareness programs, Focus group meetings, Fairs/ Exhibitions and capacity building programs related to priority sectors i.e. Agri, SME and Microfinance etc.
At the end, AFUs are advised to work hard continuously and help in achieving for the agriculture indicative and Pilot Project- IV targets within stipulated timeframe.
1. Meeting with Agriculture Minister AFU Peshawar along with CM, DCM and Mr. Kamran Akram Bakhshi, Sr. Joint Director Agriculture Credit & Microfinance Department SBP attended the meeting at Civil Secretariat Peshawar on May 8, 2012. The meeting was held under the chairmanship of Mr. Arbab Ayub Jan, Honorable Minister for Agriculture to discuss the areas for interventions of the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) in Agriculture & Livestock sectors of Khyber Pakhtunkhawa.
Secretary Agriculture, Additional Secretary Agriculture & Livestock, Director Generals of the Agricultural Research Institutes and other government officials also attended the meeting.
He also appreciated the role of SBP and its field offices for promoting the Agriculture Sector.Mr. Muhammad Israr, Additional Secretary Agriculture and livestock, gave a detailed presentation on the areas where SBP can intervene and provide support to the government departments in promoting the Agriculture sector. Mr. Kamran Bakhshi, Sr. Joint Director AC&MFD commended the efforts of the Minister of Agriculture in the sector and apprised the participants of the latest developments in the sector
2. Farmers Financial Literacy & Awareness Seminar
AFU Peshawar in collaboration with Agriculture Credit & Microfinance Department arranged “„Farmers Financial Literacy & Awareness program on the Agriculture Financing” on May 16, 2012 at Taj Mahal Hotel Nowshera. Bank of Khyber provided the logistic support for the event. Dr. Farzand Ali Jan, Director KP Agriculture University Peshawar was the chief guest on the occasion. The program was attended by Mrs. Asma Aziz Senior DCM SBPBSC Peshawar, Mr.
Muhammad Imaduddin, SJD AC&MFD SBP, Mr. Nadeem Khanzada JD AC&MFD SBP, Mr. Abid Hussain DCM SBP BSC Peshawar and agri head of Banks. Mrs. Asma Aziz in his speech said that SBP BSC is playing its due role for promotion of Agriculture Sector and is conducting awareness sessions in different locations of the province. Dr. Farzand Ali Jan in his speech appreciated the role of SBP for promotion of agriculture sector. He also mentioned that Agriculture University being the research centre is playing their role. On the occasion, Muhammad Imaduddin, SJD, AC&MFD, SBP said that SBP‟s promotional initiatives and policy interventions have translated into around 100% rise in the flow of credit to the agriculture sector during the last five years. He said the flow of credit to agriculture sector increased from Rs. 137.4 billion in 2006-06 to Rs. 263 billion in 2010-11.
Development Finance News Letter June 2012
3. Seminar on Agriculture Financing
AFU Peshawar in collaboration with HBL arranged a seminar on agriculture financing in Babuzai Village on May 29, 2012. The program was attended by senior officials of banks, farmers and elite of the area.
Mr. Muhammad Tanwirul Islam,CM,SBP BSC Peshawar said that State Bank of Pakistan has adopted a multi-pronged strategy to increase the Agri credit outreach that includes mainstreaming of agriculture finance, removing policy and regulatory impediments, capacity building of commercial banks and information dissemination and awareness building programs for the farming community.
Mr. Abid Hussain. Mr. Shamsul Qayum, Regional Head HBL and Mr. Jamil Uz Zaman, Head Agriculture HBL appreciated the role of State Bank of Pakistan BSC Peshawar in creating awareness on agriculture financing
Gujranwala Office Technologies (R & D) for Rice Sector
AFU Gujranwala visited the exhibition/workshop on May 07, 2012, aimed at imparting awareness to the rice millers and exporters on various R & D products for value addition purposes-- to the rice industry. The session was arranged by the Gujranwala Chamber of commerce & industries at the chamber premises. The exhibition showcased various machines/ automated technologies being used in the rice industry ranging from rice husking to sorting machines.
Muzaffarabad Office Policy Adequacy Seminar on Agri financing AFU Muzaffarabad in collaboration with AC&MFD, State Bank of Pakistan, Karachi arranged one day “Policy Adequacy Seminar on Agri. Financing” on May 10, 2012 at Faculty of Agriculture, University of Poonch, Rawalakot (A.K). Senior officials from AC&MFD, SBP, SBPBSC (Bank), Muzaffarabad, National Bank of Pakistan, Khushali Bank Limited, Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited and Faculty of Agriculture, University of Poonch, Rawalakot (A.K) addressed the large number of students, faculty members, bankers and general public.
Development Finance News Letter June 2012 Hyderabad Office Farmers Financial Literacy and Awareness Program on Agriculture Financing AFU Hyderabad in collaboration with AC&MFD, SBP and UBL organized Farmers Financial Literacy and Awareness Program on Agriculture Financing on May 23, 2012 at Sanghar.
Muhammad Imaduddin, SJD, AC&MFD, SBP and Mr. Ali Hussain,CM SBP BSC, Hyderabad inaugurated the session. Muhammad Imaduddin said that the State Bank has adopted a multi-pronged strategy to increase the agri. credit outreach that includes mainstreaming of agriculture finance, removing policy and regulatory impediments, capacity building of commercial banks and information dissemination and awareness building campaigns for the farming community. Mr. Ikramullah Qadri, Joint Director, Agricultural Credit & Microfinance Department, State Bank of Pakistan, Karachi delivered the presentation.
Awareness Program on security features of new design bank notes
AFU Hyderabad organized two awareness programs on security features of new design bank notes for agriculture stakeholders, small businessmen community and students, on May 18 & 29, 2012 at National Bank of Pakistan, Khipro District Sanghar. Almost 54 Farmers/Growers, Businessmen, Students participated in the awareness program.
Agri Finance Officers, Cashiers and Managers of NBP, UBL, HBL, MCB, and ZTBL Khipro attended the sessions.
Development Finance News Letter June 2012
Bahawalpur Office SME Finance Focus Group Meeting AFU Bahawalpur convened the biannual Meeting of SME Finance Focus Group at SBPBSC Bahawalpur on May 31, 2012 under the chairmanship of Mr. Khadim Hussain, CM, SBP BSC, Bahawalpur. President Bahawalpur, Chamber of Commerce & Industry, bank officials and representatives from various governments‟ financial institutions attended the meeting.
Peshawar Office SME Focus Group Meeting AFU Peshawar organized the second biannual meeting of SME Focus Group at SBPBSC, Peshawar on May 30, 2012 under the chairmanship of Mr. Muhammad Tanwirul Islam, CM, SBP BSC Peshawar. Various issues relating to non-availability of data on SME, revival of local advisory committee, inefficient online system at banks and bank‟s inclined to invest in Govt. Securities rather than lending were discussed in detail.
1. Export Finance Scheme guidelines Awareness Sessions AFU Gujranwala in collaboration with Refinance Schemes Unit organized awareness sessions from May 3-5, 2012 at the SBP BSC Gujranwala for trade officers of different commercial banks for creating general awareness related to various guidelines issued by SBP. The participants from 10 banks attended the sessions. The training was particularly aimed at timely submission of shipping documents and export precedes realization certificates.
Development Finance News Letter June 2012
2. Workshop on export Marketing Techniques AFU Gujranwala attended a one day workshop on export marketing technique jointly organized by SMEDA and Gujranwala chamber of commerce and industry. The workshop was aimed at enhancing the knowledge base of existing and potential exporters.
3. Seminar and Exhibition by SMX AFU Gujranwala attended a one-day seminar and exhibition arranged by SMX (SMEs subcontracting Exchange) held at Gujranwala Business centre on May 15, 2012. The seminar highlighted the opportunities for SMEs in the manufacturing and supply of defense equipment to the defense production institutes. The participants also emphasized the need for enhanced liaising among the SMEs located in Gujranwala region with defense production organizations so as to create long-term mutually beneficial relationships.
Faisalabad Office 2nd Biannual Meeting of Regional Focus Group SME Finance
AFU Faisalabad convened the second biannual meeting of SME finance focus group on May 24, 2012 under the chairmanship of Mr. Sajjad Ali Shah, CM, SBP BSC. Faisalabad, Agenda points related to financial books, low management skills, commercial credit rates were discussed in detail.
Lahore Office SME Fair cum Seminar and FinancialExpo 2012
AFU Lahore attended and coordinated with Business Support Fund in organizing SME Fair cum seminar- 2012 at Pearl Continental Hotel Lahore on May 31, 2012. Around 15 financial institutions established their stalls.
Mr. Kazi Abdul Muktadir, ED, Banking Supervision, SBP was the chief guest of the occasion. He also inaugurated the SME Business Development Centre. SME Fair and Financial Expo 2012 were organized with the objective to promote SME sector in the country and to enhance awareness about financial services available for export led industrial growth.
Mr. Kazi Abdul Muktadir, Executive Director, State Bank of Pakistan while giving his speech appreciated the efforts of SME Business Support Fund in promotion of entrepreneurship in the country. Other speakers of the seminar included Regional Manager Sales, Telenor Pakistan, Director Industries, Government of Punjab, Managing Director Punjab Small Industries Corporation, Javed Iqbal of IFC-World Bank Group,Mr. Matloob Khan-National Program Coordinator (Sustainable Energy Initiative for Industries in Pakistan) UNIDO. Ms. Kaukab, President CNPWCCI, Mr. Hashim, Rana Siddique Rehman, CEO Development Finance News Letter June 2012 SME Development Center, and Mrs. Shireen Arshad Khan, MNA& Chairperson Handicrafts Association of Pakistan.
Development Finance News Letter June 2012
1. Five days training program on Microfinance AFU Peshawar in collaboration with National Institute of Banking & Finance, Islamabad conducted one week Microfinance Grass Root Training Program at local office from May 7The main presenters of programs were Mr. Shabaz Shahid, AC & MFD, and M.s Fahmida Shehar Banu, freelance consultant and Mr. Waqar Yameen, Regional Head KBL.
The training program was attended by 30 participants from Microfinance banks / institutions and SBP BSC Peshawar office.
2. Microfinance Awareness Program at GGIP Peshawar
AFU Peshawar arranged the microfinance awareness programs in Gem & Gemological Institute of Pakistan Peshawar on May 17, 2012. Mr. Abid Hussain DCM DFD, Mr. Noor Muhammad ACM AFU and Mr. Anjum Nisar Treasury Officer attended the program. Mr.