«In the Azamgarh district of UP there is a village called Majhauwa, which is predominantly inhabited by Dalit castes like Chamar, Pasi, Dhobi, Mali ...»
4. This story was narrated to me by an old woman Bhagwanti Devi of Duari located in the district Kanpur Dehat of North India on 10th January, 2007 at 12 A.M.
5. Field Trip to Kanpur as a part of project ‘Myth, Memory and Politics: A Study of the Language of Mobilization of Grassroots Dalits’, sponsored by ICSSR, New Delhi, April, 2004.
6. Field Trip to various parts of UP while conducting research for the project Myth, Memory and Politics: A Study of the Language of Mobilization of Grassroots Dalits,’ sponsored by ICSSR, New Delhi, April-May, 2004.
7. Dalit Kesari, Allahabad, 14 –30 June 1990
8. Sumanshankar, Himayati, May 1996 issue
9. Based on story of Jhalkaribai in the novel ‘Jhalkaribai’, written by Bhawani Shankar Visharad.(Visharad, B.S. 1964, Virangna Jhalkaribai, Anand Sahitya Sadan, Aligarh)
10. Asian Age, Calcutta, December 24, December 31, 1995, and January 7, 1996.
11. Hindustan, Lucknow July 18, p. 3.
12. Hindustan, Lucknow July 18, P. 3
13. Pamphlets published on the occasion of Nishad, Bind, Kashyap, Lodh Ekta Sammelan, 23 February 1997, Allahabad.
14. Pamphlets of Nishad caste published during its conference for demanding their traditional rights on water and sand, 10-11 November 1979.
References Biswas, A.K. 1997, Sepoy Mutiny (1857-58) and Indian Perfidy, Blumoon Books, New Delhi.
Dinkar, D.C. 1990, Swatantrata Sangram mein Achhuton ka Yogdan, Bodhisatva Prakashan, Lucknow.
Madan, G.P, 1987, Jhoothi Azadi, Bhartiya Baudh Parishad, Allahabad.
Metcalfe, T. R. 1990, The Aftermath of Revolt, India 1857-1870, Manohar, New Delhi.
Kumar, V. 2002, Azadi ka Andolan ya Arya Brahmanon ki Varchaswata ka Abhiyan, D.K. Kharpade Foundation, Mumbai.
Mukherjee, R, 200, Awadh in Revolt 1857-1858: A Study of Popular Resistance, Permanent Black, New Delhi.
Narayan, B. 2006, Women Heroes and Dalit Assertion in north India: Culture, Identity and Politics, Sage, New Delhi.
Nath, B.S.R.S. 1998, 1857 ki Kranti ka Janak:
Nagvanshi Bhangi Matadin Hela, Milan Prakashan, Allahabad.
Pasi, R.K. 1998, Pasi Samaj ka Swatantrata Sangram mein Yogdan, Moti Paper Converters, Gorakhpur.
Pasi, R.K. 2005. Barabanki ka Vismrit Itihas, Pasi Shodh evam Sanskritik Sansthan, Lucknow.
Pinch, W. 1996. Peasants and Monks in British India, Oxford University Press, Delhi.
Rai, B.N, 2005, 1857 Ka Dalit Paksh, Tadbhav, October issue, Lucknow Vidrohi, M.R. 1989, Dalit Dastavej, Satyam Prakashan,