«HACKENSACK - HERITAGE TO HORIZONS PUBLISHED BY: THE HACKENSACK BICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE TERRY LARK, EDITOR DR. IRWIN TALBOT, PHD, ASSOCIATE EDITOR ...»
There was a court of small claims in Hackensack in 1686. It was held in Dr. Van Emburgh's home. There were little huts on Doctor's Creek at the time Dr. Van Emburgh lived there. They were occupied by fur traders who bought furs (probably raccoon, muskrat and rabbit) from the Indians who lived on the other side of the Hackensack River.
In the early part of the 18th century Hackensack became a place to go for medical and legal services. This was trend that has continually developed to the present day. Real estate located in the Hackensack area was frequently advertised for sale in the New York papers — time / 1776.
In 1869, the first street lamps illuminated by gas were installed on Main Street. Cost per lamp to light per year — $37.50.
There is a crossroad that has had several names—Academy Street, Warren Street and soon it will be Atlantic Street. The Washington Academy, as it was first called, was on the north corner of Academy Street and what is presently Main Street. The street was renamed Warren Street about the time of the Civil War.
Warren Street will become a service road when the new extension of Atlantic Street is constructed next to Warren Street. Another street with three names in Main Street. First it was Kings Highway, then Front Street and now Main Street.
In the early 1800's State Street had wagon tracks through the center—the balance of the street was grass, no sidewalks. Main Street had deep ditches on either side, the road rounded up and was covered with gravel. Sidewalks were cowpaths and people walked on them singly.
Mansion House Data The stone part of the home was built in 1751. It was finished in fine paneling and had fireplace tiles from Holland depicting Bible scenes. Sometime after 1776 the house was enlarged and known as the Mansion House. Later it was the Mansion House Hotel and considered a fine hotel.
It was sold in 1872 for $38,000. When the building was regrettably torn down in 1945, the stones were sold for $700. The purchaser used the stones to build a dwelling in southern New Jersey. In May of 1976 a plaque was placed on the office building at the corner of Main Street and Washington Place by the Bergen County Bar Association commemorating the Mansion House.
This was the site of the building.
The Blizzard of 1888 The blizzard of March 12, 1888 paralyzed Hackensack for one week.
Funeral Processions Around the 1920's there were funeral processions that went up Main Street. First a band playing dirge music was followed by plumed horses drawing the hearse and then the mourners walked behind The Banks in Hackensack 1825 - The Washington Banking Company was established in the Mansion House. About 1931 the Bank erected its own building on Washington Place and failed in1933. This building is still standing and designated for preservation. It was the first bank in present Bergen County.
1889 - Hackensack Bank organized.
1899 - Hackensack Bank became the Hackensack Trust company. Now it is the Garden State National Bank.
1903 - Peoples Trust & Guaranty Company organized. Now it is United Jersey Bank 1921 - City National Bank organized. Now it is First National State Bank - County.
1930 - Bergen County National Bank organized. Now it is Commercial Trust Co. of N.J.
"White Manna Restaurant” White Manna Restaurant at 358 River Street was a building at the New York World's Fair-unusual architecture—it may have been suggested for preservation (by Bergen County Historic Survey).
Hackensack’s "Main Street"
Almost from the beginning of our country there was a main Street—called King's Highway at that time. People were living and working on lower Main Street within sixty years of the second oldest European settlement in the United States (Jamestown 1607). Due to the building of the Dutch Reformed Church and the establishment of Hackensack as the county seat, there was a slow but steady increase in the population. Colonial Hackensack had about thirty homes in the village which was in the present lower Main Street area. They were red sandstone homes and there were neighborhood shops, all well-kept. There has always been great interest in Main Street. From its earliest days people have come to Main Street to venture into various enterprises. This attraction has continued to the present day. Main Street has gone through many down periods—the severe tribulations during the Revolutionary War, depressions after the French and Indian Wars and the Revolutionary War, the Depression of the 20th century competition from the shopping malls and has always had the ability to survive and to continue on its way in a progressive manner.
XII Churches of Hackensack
St. 'Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Less than 30 years after the arrival of the first permanent settlers in the Hackensack Valley, Pastor Justus Falckner--the first Lutheran pastor ordained in America -- started holding services here in 1704. In 1716, Lawrence Van Buskirk deeded a church site on King's Road in what was then Hackensack Township. (This is now River Road, Teaneck). The Revolutionary War and a fire in the church resulted in the disbanding of this congregation. For about 100 years Lutherans worshipped with the German Reformed congregation or traveled all the way to Union Hill for services in the Lutheran church there.
A preaching mission began in Hackensack on May 12, 1895, the first service being held in the Washingotn Institute at Main and Warren Streets. On February 7, 1897, it was agreed to incorporate as the German Evangelical Lutheran St. Mark's Church. Property for the first home of St. Mark's was purchased at 9 Hudson Street early in 1900. The first service was held in the unfinished building on Christmas Day 1901. The original structure was expanded in 1944.
By 1945 the name of the Church was changed to its present title, German services were discontinued, and regular monthly communion services were... initiated. In 1950 the New Jersey Synod of the Lutheran Church in America was formed, and St. Mark's became a member.
On October 18, 1959, dedication ceremonies were held for a new church building at Ross and Grand Avenues. The present building has one of the oldest pipe organs in Bergen County.
First Presbyterian Church The First Presbyterian Church came into existence when a group severed ties with the True Reformed Dutch denomination, following the Rev. C.I. Paulison in 1832, as the Reformed Church of Hackensack.
On July 3, 1871, the church applied for admission to the Jersey City Presbytery and its name was changed to the First Presbyterian Church, under the Rev. Albert Amerman. The church's building was then located on Main Street, near the present side of the Johnson Library.
The call extended to the Rev. Amerman in June 1843 included this proposal: "That you may be free of worldly avocations; we agree to pay you the sum of $250 annually, and a sufficiency "of hay for one horse and one cow, fu-el for the house, and the free house of the parsonage."
There were four more pastors until the Rev. Charles R. Kuebler came to the church. His active ministry of 55 years was one of the longest on record in this denomination. In 1929 the new church was completed on Passaic Street at Union Street.,
First Baptist Church of Hackensack
Organized in 1832, the First Baptist Church was revitalized by prayer meetings held in private homes on alternate Wednesday evenings. The first church building was dedicated on December 30, 1870, at the present site on Anderson Street Park. The Rev. Zelotes Grenelle, Sr., then 75 years old, became the first pastor.
In 1893 the First Baptist Church of Ridgefield Park was merged with the Hackensack church.
Three years later, a group left the church to form what became the Calvary Baptist Church in Hackensack.
Miss Hazel Malliet was the church's first missionary, going to the Philippines in 1920. Over the years she has been followed by scores of other members serving in the mission fields in all parts of the world.
The church's growth paralleled that of Hackensack. The cornerstone for a new building was laid August 26, 1923. In 1940, the church voted to declare itself in fellowship with the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches.
On Sunday, September 20, 1953, a new Bible School building was opened, with 1,000 in Sunday School attendance. In 1974, the church established the Hackensack Christian School, later expanded to include classes from kindergarten through twelfth grade.
United Methodist Church of Hackensack United Methodism has a long history here, starting with the posting of a public notice tacked to a willow tree on the Village Green in 1835. It reads “Notice: July nineteenth, in eighteen thirty-five, If God permit, and I should be alive, Under a willow, near one Vanderpool, There will be preaching, say, by wise or fool, At half past two, should audience be given, ' And the good people are, hereby depend, Respectfully invited to attend.
That notice was written and posted by the Rev. John Hancock, a local farmer and Methodist preacher. There have been services held by Methodists in Hackensack ever since.
In the course of history Methodists have experienced both fragmentation and unity. Originally there were two Methodist churches here, one known as the First Methodist Episcopal Church and the other as the Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church. They were merged in 1913. The old First Church building still stands on the corner of State and Mercer Streets.
The merged church existed for years on State Street across from the Middle School. In 1965 it was decided to construct a new building at the corner of Summit Avenue and Passaic Street. The new "Steeple in the Garden" became a landmark of modern church architecture.
The Second Reformed Church Organized in 1855, the church was originally located on the east side of State Street on property donated by Mrs. Maria Berry. The cornerstone was laid in 1856;
the first pastor was the Rev. James Demarest, Jr. Later, what is now the Hackensack Middle School was built across the street.
The present church building of native fieldstone -- facing Anderson Street Park on Union Street was constructed in 1907-09. Many of the stones were brought to the site by church members by wagon from various parts of the Bergen County countryside. Special masonry craftsmen from Italy worked on he project. Fieldstone and materials similar to the church were used in the building of the educational and administrative wing, dedicated in 1965.
Holy Trinity Church
On May 19, 1861, the first Catholic Church in Hackensack was completed on Lawrence Street near Union Street, and appropriately called "St. Lawrence". The ground and church cost $1,350.
By the end of the Civil War it was decided to build a larger church building, and property was purchased at the corner of Maple Avenue and Pangborn Place (then called Park Street). The new structure was dedicated on April 19, 1868, with its name changed at that time to the Church of the Most Holy Trinity.
It was during the Rev. Joseph Rolandols stay (1870-75) that the first Catholic School in Bergen County was built. Around 1885, the first convent was completed for the Sisters of Charity of St.
Elizabeth of Convent Station. They began teaching here shortly after the Civil War iarid have continued uninterrupted since.
The present Holy Trinity Church building was dedicated on June 12, 1932, known locally for its Byzantine architecture.
Browson High School was established in 1931. But in 1954 it was decided to end the high school department in favor of building a new elementary school, which now has approximately 550 students.
Christ Church During the Civil War some Episcopal services were conducted in the Washington Institute until Christ Church was incorporated in 1863. The cornerstone of the building was laid in July the same year, and the sanctuary completed for its first service on Sunday, January 31, 1866. For the first 15 years the pews were rented for $37 to $75 per year as was the custom at the time.
Thereafter, support came from an envelope system of offerings. One of the greatest achievements of the parish has been the establishing of missions here and in neighboring communities: St. Peter's, Rochelle Park; Mission of the Ascension, Bogota; Mission of the Epiphany, Cedar Park;
St. Cyprian's on First and Clay Streets, Hackensack, built at the request of black members; St.
Anthony of Padua on Lodi Street, Hackensack; St. Mark's, Teaneck and St. Martin's, Maywood.
Since 1960, great emphasis has been placed on encouraging various local organizations to utilize Parish Hall as a form of community service.
Immaculate Conception Church The Church of the Immaculate Conception, better known as St. Mary's Church, was begun as a parish with the purchase of property on Vreeland Avenue on August 21, 1890.
Until that time it was part of Holy Trinity Parish. When incorporated as a parish on June 5, 1891, it included Little Ferry, Ridgefield Park, Ridgefield, and Fairview, as well as its present territory.
Gradually each of these towns grew and built its own churches and schools, becoming separate parishes in their own right.
St. Mary's today extends from Route 46 to Essex Street and from the Hackensack River to Polifly Road. It includes parts of Hackensack and Little Ferry, and all of South Hackensack and Teterboro.
St Mary's has had a parish school since 1904. Its first building, formerly the Hudson Street Public School, was purchased from the City when Broadway School was built. From September 1904 to September 1971, The Benedictine Sisters of Elizabeth conducted the school, when the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chestnut Hill, Pa. took it over. The present building was dedicated on November 6, 1961, replacing the old school which was demolished to make way for Route 80.
First Congregational Church (United Church of Christ)
Just before the turn of the century, children of families in the Fairmount section began Sunday school worship in Zingsem's barn and at the Lowndes' home. This culminated in the formation of the Fairmount Union Chapel Association. Later the group became associated with the Congregational denomination and named itself the First Congregational Church of Hackensack.