«HACKENSACK - HERITAGE TO HORIZONS PUBLISHED BY: THE HACKENSACK BICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE TERRY LARK, EDITOR DR. IRWIN TALBOT, PHD, ASSOCIATE EDITOR ...»
The church membership has grown to over 600. The church's property has expanded to keep pace with its other areas of growth, and the church building itself upgraded. Recently a van was purchased for transporting senior citizens and children to services.
Trinity Baptist Church
Trinity Church was organized by members of New Hope Baptist Church, when a group of them decided to leave that church along with the Rev. Richard H. Puryear, when his pastorate terminated in January, 1970. Its new church building was completed and dedicated at 218 Passaic Street in 1973.
Other black churches organized in Hackensack in recent years have played an important role in the building of the black community. They include: Christian Faith Mission, Little Bethel Holiness, Jackson's Temple Church, Reformed Zion Union Apostolic Church, Universal Hagor's Spiritual Church.
Chapter XIII Organizations Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Bergen County Lodge #73 The restless world of today provides a perfect setting in which Odd Fellows in their daily living put into practice the precepts of the Order -To educate the orphan, bury the dead, visit the sick and care for the indigent.
Bergen County Lodge #73 was instituted in 1848 in the Township of New Barbadoes. The Order is believed to be the oldest fraternal lodge in this City. Today the lodge is still active, with its members striving to do good for the community.
The Hackensack Y.M.C.A.
YMCA activities for boys and young men were established about 1890, but prior to 1917 operated under the name of Social Service Work. These programs were conducted in the building at State and Warren Streets.
In August, 1917, a newly organized community YMCA replaced the SSW. Mr. James W.
Loveland was elected the first president of the Community YMCA as it was first known, serving as its leader until 1922. In 1920 the Y was incorporated as the Young Men's Christian Association of Hackensack, with an officially elected board of trustees.
The present property of the Association also was purchased in 1920. The headquarters and activities were transferred to the residence which then stood on the site at the northeast corner of Main and Passaic Streets. The Y program expanded rapidly and soon larger and more extensive facilities were needed. Planning for a new building was initiated and a campaign launched to raise $400,000 for construction. The actual cost, however, ultimately exceeded $600,000.
The new building was opened February 12, 1928; it was undoubtedly one of the most modern and best equipped YMCA's of its time. Since then the Y program has continued to expand, with its activities and services designed to accommodate the needs of the residents of this area.
The Hackensack Y was reincorporated in 1964 as the YMCA of Greater Bergen County, with branches in Park Ridge, Ramsey, Wyckoff and Rutherford. The Y serves some 5,000 members at its Hackensack quarters. It conducts Day Camp Oratam for boys and girls, and Michikamau, a residence camp both located in Bear Mountain, N.Y.
Hackensack Lodge No. 658, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, was chartered in 1901, and its first full-term exalted ruler was Col. Alfred T. Holley. Service has been the hallmark of the lodge's existence through the years as it has aided crippled children, provided Christmas baskets for needy families, made 'countless visits to veterans hospitals and supported organizations for paraplegics, cerebral palsy, and those with rheumatic hearts. The lodge also has aided the Boy Scouts, participated in many civic and patriotic programs, and made substantial financial contributions to local hospital fund drives.
A few years ago the Hackensack Lodge sold its imposing lodge building on Union Street across the street from the Middle School, when the use of such extensive facilities was no longer needed. The lodge has now consolidated its activities in new quarters on Linden Street, just south of Anderson Street, where members enjoy socializing with fellow Elks and their guests.
Hackensack Yacht Club While the HYC was established in 1908, records and memorabilia indicate that it was in existence years before. Prior to 1908, it was known as the Hackensack Field and Boat Club, and even earlier as the Hackensack Field Club.
Today the group still uses the original clubhouse at 50 Shafer Place on the Hackensack River.
Facilities have been developed for accommodating the storage of 50 boats up to 45 feet in length on the property.
Incorporated in 1940, the HYC is listed in Lloyds Register. Its object is to promote and encourage boating and seamanship, and provide a program of social activities for its members -now numbering 85.
Though its headquarters is on the Hackensack River most of its boating is done on the Hudson River, Long Island Sound and along the waterways of the Jersey Shore. During the summer the Club's official burgee flies over the Alpine Boat Basin of Palisades Interstate Park.
Members participate in a year-round program of social affairs, with heaviest of such activities during the winter and early spring. A highlight of the Bicentennial summer was a rendezvous of boats during a two-week cruise to Nantucket Island.
Boy Scouts Holy Trinity Church was the first Catholic organization in the country to sponsor a Boy Scout troop, when Troop 5 was chartered in 1915. Its first year saw 28 boys enrolled, under the leadership of Scoutmaster W.A. Scrivens.
That same year Troop 5 took first awards in an exhibition rally held by all Bergen County troops.
In March, 1950, Holy Trinity Church expanded its scouting program to include younger boys, and Cub Pack 5 was formed. In October, 1970, further expansion led to the formation of Explorer Post 5, an advanced program for high school boys and girls to include citizenship, social events, vocational education, outdoor activities and community service.
Troop 5, Hackensack's oldest, with a history of 61 years, has since been joined by nine additional
troops. Following are troop designations, sponsors, and number of years chartered:
Troop 15, First Congregational Church, 48 years; Troop 11, Second Reformed Church, 44 years;
Troop 13, Police Benevolent Association #9, 18 years; Troop 372, Mount Olive Baptist Church, 4 years; Troop 285, Hackensack Housing Authority, 3% years; Troop 151, St. Francis R.C.
Church, 2 years; Troop 220, Varick Memorial A.M.E. Church, new; Troop 361, unit for hearing impaired boys, Bergen Special Service School, new; and Troop 362, unit for neurologically impaired boys, Maple Hill School.
Captain Harry B. Doremus Post No. 55, American Legion
In July 1919, fifteen ex-servicemen met at the home of Otis Gregg to discuss the American Legion and make formal application for chartering a local post. The history of the American Legion was explained by Colonel William M. Mead, who had attended the first convention in Paris soon after the Armistice.
There was no question as to the name of the new post. Captain Harry B. Doremus, who led the local company and was killed in action in the famous Argonne-Meuse offensive in 1918, was the only man whose name was considered. The charter was granted in September and the post designated as No. 55. Colonel Mead was elected the first post commander at a meeting which followed in the Armory, when 75 men joined.
Meetings were held in the Board of Taxation room in the County Courthouse twice monthly until September 1920, when a home used as a clubhouse at Bridge and Moore Streets was presented to the post by the citizens of Hackensack. A new Post home was built in 1933 and still standing at American Legion Drive and Second Street.
For many years the Post sponsored a senior drum and bugle corps and color guard, which took national championships in Chicago in and in New York in 1947. Junior American Legion baseball has been ' -", another of the Post's sponsorships. The Doremus team is one of the oldest sponsored teams in the state, and has a number of County Championships to its credit.
Rotary Club of Hackensack
Early in 1920, Andrew Stertzer enlisted the support of two Freds, Fountain and Stillwell, and of C.M. Dalrymple with the purpose of forming a Rotary Club. A preliminary meeting was held at the Elks Club on March 18, and in the weeks that followed some 50 prospective members were signed up. Then it was learned that Rotary limits charter members to 25. So the list was laboriously and painfully trimmed.
Its first officers were Andrew Stertzer, president; Frederick Stillwell, vice president; C.M.
Dalrymple, secretary; and Martin Toolen, sergeant-at-arms The Hackensack Rotary Club has continued to grow, and presently has a membership of 83 community leaders. The group is proud of its many service projects, including the B. Spencer Newman Room at the Bergen County Museum. It is dedicated to helping develop a better community through its motto: "Service above self".
Young Men's Hebrew Association Late in 1923 several prominent Bergen men met in the Hackensack office of the late Charles Rosenberg to develop a central Jewish organization and meeting place. There were nearly 500 Jewish families in Bergen County and less than 10 synagogues.
A campaign to raise funds for a Y building was initiated, and its success resulted in the purchase of the property at 211 Essex Street, formerly a Catholic school. The Y was chartered in 1924 to serve the recreational, informal educational and cultural needs of Jews throughout Bergen.
However, it has always recognized its obligation to serve the general community. For 50 years membership in the Y, its services, and facilities have been available to all residents of the county without regard to religion, ethnic origin, or place of residence.
When Clem Plager assumed the presidency of the Y in 1927, his goal was to see plans for the construction of a new Y building materialize. A campaign for $100,000 was concluded in the fall of 1928, and the building was dedicated in 1929.
Then came the Depression. In January, 1931, the building was forced to close for a short period.
It was at this critical time that Irving Warshawsky became the Y's executive director, serving in that post until his death in 1965. During his service the Y grew and thrived.
The Y has continually provided a dynamic and unifying focal point Bergen County for the Jewish community.
Lions Club of Hackensack Since 1927 the Lions Club of Hackensack has served the residents not only of this City, but of the entire county through many humanitarian service projects.
Highlights of the nearly 50 years of helping others include: establishment of an eye clinic at Hackensack Hospital; donation of a special shelf in the Johnson Library containing large print and Braille books for the blind; initial development and continued support of the Lions Rehabilitation Center for the mentally retarded; sponsoring annual visits of the Eye mobile to test for diseases of the eyes; and support of many other community projects such as the Community Chest, The Residence, and the Holley Center.
The College Club of Hackensack Founded in 1928, the College Club of Hackensack is a focal point for college women with varied interests. It provides scholarships for Hackensack High School graduates attending a degreegranting college or university.
The aid programs include a $500 scholarship awarded annually for four years; and a $150 scholarship presented annually. Recipients are qualified girls or boys who have attended Hackensack High at least two years. Awards are based on character and need, as well as scholarship.
In honor of the Bicentennial year the College Club also sponsored an essay for college-bound seniors at the high school. The winning essay, "Life in America," was written by David L. Smith, who received $345 for his outstanding work. The Colony Club founded April 9, 1929, by Mrs.
Myron Robinson and Mrs. G.W. Mclndoe, the Colony Club has just completed its 47th year of service to Hackensack.
Membership over the years has ranged from a high of 50 to its present 15 active members.
Hackensack Hospital, one of the club's major recipients, has received many pieces of equipment.
The most recent was a pediatric heart monitor for the newborn nursery. Members also perform services for patients and visitors. The club awarded its first scholarship of $500 to a graduating senior at Hackensack High School to establish a tradition. Two awards were presented this year a $500 and $250 nursing scholarship -- ringing the total to date to 28.
Society of Fairmount Friends
This group of men meets twice each year to reminisce about the "good old days." Founded by George M. Scudder, the society has about 100 members. The men from all walks of life were boyhood friends, and enjoy reliving the memories of a rural Hackensack when they meet each May and November.
George Scudder has written a history of the Hackensack schools. He has been a help and inspiration in the compilation of this book while engaged in his own writing projects.
Young Women's Christian Association The Young Women's Christian Association of Hackensack was incorporated in 1930 as a member of the YWCA of the U.S.A. It was located in the same building as the YMCA for 40 years, until it moved to its own quarters in 1969. The YWCA residence camp for girls 8 to 16 at Bear Mountain has operated for 46 years, while the day camp for boys and girls has provided summer fun such as swimming and other outdoor activities since the 1950s.
A few years ago the YWCA launched the first federally funded after- school day care program for Hackensack youngsters whose parents work but earn minimal salaries. The after-school program is conducted at Christ Church where qualified staffers provide a creative learning experience. There are 10 Small Fry clubs with biweekly pre-school programs for 180 children aged 3 to 5; two of the clubs are cosponsored by the First Presbyterian Church and the Second Reformed Church. Programs for women and girls are numerous, including the Y Room Registry, designed to help women of limited means find rooms to rent in private homes.
In addition to its services and programs, the YWCA offers a wide range of physical education and recreational classes.