«HACKENSACK - HERITAGE TO HORIZONS PUBLISHED BY: THE HACKENSACK BICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE TERRY LARK, EDITOR DR. IRWIN TALBOT, PHD, ASSOCIATE EDITOR ...»
Girl Scouts of America The first Girl Scout troop was formed in 1931 at the Longview School at the suggestion of Principal George Merrill. Mrs. Albert Lang did much of the promoting for Girl Scouting, while several other troops were organized in schools and churches as more girls became interested.
In 1941 national headquarters in New York contacted Mrs. Charles Bickford to gather a group of women to consider organizing a Girl Scout Council. Of the 20 at that meeting, every one agreed to serve. Mrs. Blackford, was elected commissioner.
A small store on Anderson Street was rented as headquarters, a paid secretary installed, and Girl Scouting grew as programs expanded under trained leaders and a local council. Two day camps were acquired, and by 1948 Hackensack had 30 troops -- 350 scouts and 121 adult volunteer workers, leaders, troop committee members and council members.
The headquarters on Anderson Street being inadequate, the council voted to launch a campaign to raise funds for purchasing its own "Little House," as Girl Scout headquarters is called.
Within a year the council was able to buy a house at 155 Passaic Street, and make it suitable for an office, and a place for council and leader meetings, and for troop programs. The Little House brought new enthusiasm into scouting and the organization continued to grow.
In 1959, national headquarters, then in Washington, in a move to make the Girl Scout program available to more youngsters, recommended the consolidation of the many councils into a single strong County council. Thus the Bergen County Girl Scout Council came into being. It now serves 22,000 girls in 60 towns with the help of 3,500 volunteers and staff. The County headquarters is located in the Bergen Mall shopping center in Paramus.
Outdoor life and camping are a big part of Scouting. The Girl Scout council has two camps, Bears Nest in Park Ridge and Glen Spey in New York State.
The Hackensack Club of the Business and Professional Woman's Club.
This group was formed in the autumn of 1934 by a group of eager young women who had met to establish a branch of the Hackensack Y.W.C.A.
The need has long existed for social service other than that provided by religious or fraternal groups in the African American community. Since social service organizations and recreational centers were off limits for African American youth, Josephine P. Cowan and Nellie M. Parker decided to establish the Business and Professional Girls of the Y.W.C.A.
For many years they affiliated with the Y, participating in social activities such as suppers, banquets, and teas. Later it was decided to withdraw from the Y and work independently.
Through the years Business and Professional Girls had a strong involvement in community affairs. In 1959 the group became affiliated with the National Business and Professional Women's Club. Since that time the club has sponsored a career development workshop contributed to college students financially, aided the Bethune Scholarship Fund, presented plays celebrating “Negro History Week”, and several members have given much time to the Health Careers Development Program in the middle and senior high schools.
Hackensack Art Club This organization has played a major role in the City's cultural life for nearly four decades. In 1938 a group of local artists conducted their first joint exhibit under the direction of Mary E.
Boggan, then librarian of the Johnson Public Library.
The librarian had for some years sponsored successful one-man or one-woman art shows, so she selected a committee to invite other artist friends to join in forming a club. After several organizational meetings, B. Spencer Newman and Carl Ramee were selected to write a constitution. The Hackensack Art Club was formally organized on November 6, 1939, with 24 charter members electing Emil Stange as the first president. The club has involved itself with all types of community programs, including the judging of local exhibits, sponsoring Halloween window painting contests for children and the decorating of doors at Christmas, and other similar activities. The club now has more than 160 members representing some 40 Bergen communities.
Johannes Post Chapter 784, B'nai B'urith This international Jewish women's service organization has more than 140,000 members in North America. The Johannes Post Chapter draws its members from Hackensack, Maywood, Rochelle Park, Lodi and Saddle Brook.
Formed in 1952, it was named for a citizen of Holland who saved many people from persecution during World War II by providing food and shelter for them and helping them escape detention during the occupation. The name Johannes Post, thereby, honors those who were willing to sacrifice all in battling intolerance.
In addition to supporting national hospital projects in Hot Springs, Arkansas, and Denver, Colorado, the local Chapter serves Hackensack Hospital and Saddle Brook Hospital and supports a number of other humanitarian programs.
Associated Craftsmen An industrial workshop for handicapped persons, Associated Craftsmen, Inc., was organized by the Bergen County Tuberculosis Association in 1953. Located at 15 Emerald Street, its purpose is to provide employment for those with physical disabilities. Throughout its history Associated Craftsmen has served those with a variety of disabilities through subcontract work for many of the nation's leading companies. In October 1975, it became a service of the Easter Seal Society.
The Easter Seal Society for Crippled Children and Adults of New Jersey was established in 1948, and moved its headquarters to 799 Main Street, Hackensack, late in 1958. By 1971 it outgrew these facilities and moved to New Brunswick., A pilot program in office skills evaluation and training was conducted at the state Easter Seal office from August, 1966 to December 1977, when it was located at 817 Main Street, Hackensack. This program was the only one in the U.S. specifically geared to teaching office to the disabled. In May, 1976, it moved to the Associated Craftsmen complex at 145 Hackensack Avenue, just off Emerald Street.
In addition to the sheltered workshop, the rehabilitation center includes an evaluation unit, a homebound program, a print shop, and the office skills training.
Golden Age Seniors of Greater Hackensack
Early in 1954 a group of seniors met with Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bissex to form an officially recognized organization representing senior citizens. Mr. Bissex was elected the first president.
The club met in the Garden Center of the Woman's Club of Hackensack for many years, and now meetings are held the first and third Thursdays of each month at the Johnson Public Library auditorium.
There are 247 members. Speakers at these meetings discuss a variety of topics, including housing, taxes, social services, Medicare, entertainment, and travel. A very civic minded group, the Golden Age Seniors are represented at meetings of the City Council, Homeowners Association, Housing Authority, urban renewal, Office of the Aging, Board of Chosen Freeholders and Bergen transit agency.
Members take day trips to points of interest in the New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey region. The club celebrated its 21st birthday luncheon May 19, 1976. The club sponsored an Early American float in the Bicentennial Parade on September 11, 1976, and members followed in mini-buses.
Hackensack Police Athletic League The P.A.L. came to Hackensack as a result of hard work in organization by Patrolman Thomas Reid, Jr., and a small group of fellow police officers.
It has existed as a meaningful community enterprise since November 29, 1968, when a meeting of more than 50 businessmen, municipal officials, clergymen, and civic leaders gathered at the Varick Memorial A.M.E. Church on Atlantic Street.
A 36-member executive board sets policy for the local chapter. Board membership includes clergy of all denominations, the County Prosecutor and Sheriff, prominent businessmen, merchants, and its founding representatives of the Police Department.
Chapter founder Reid declares: "We feel P.A.L. is an approach that has brought about a meaningful change in the attitude of our young people."
The U.S.S. Ling Welcome aboard the U.S.S. Ling. At Court and River Streets on the Hackensack River is moored the U.S.S. Ling. The World War II U.S. Navy submarine now awaits visitors for inspection tours of her restored fittings, fixtures, and facilities.
When on active duty, the Ling carried a complement of 95 officers and crew. The trim, wellcared for sub is 312 feet long and has a beam of 27 feet. The Ling, which is now the responsibility of the Submarine Memorial Association, is a living symbol dedicated to American submariners who were lost in World War II.
While the Ling is not exactly a Hackensack organization, the S.M.A. is and its vessel has "become one of the City's favorite visitor attractions.
Hackensack has the distinction of being the only U.S. city -- and probably the world-- with its own submarine!
The Hackensack Chamber of Commerce The Chamber is a voluntary organization whose objective is to promote and advance the commercial, industrial, professional, civic and general interests of Hackensack. It is the ambition of the professional and businessmen and women members to-develop a unified public spirit and make Hackensack a better place in which tolive and in which to make a living.
The Chamber maintains an attractive office at 140 Main Street, where residents, newcomers, business representatives and visitors may obtain information and where the consumer can appeal a legitimate complaint.
The Chamber, through its committees, works on varied areas of interest -in the City. These committees co-operate with the appropriate City agencies.
The Residence (formerly called The Old Ladies Home of Bergen County). Three young women from the Christian Reform Church, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. Mary Christtie Terhune and Mrs. Cecilia Voorhis, formed and incorporated an association under the name of "The Old Ladies Home of Bergen County".
The intent was to make suitable provision for pleasant living accommodations for aging ladies from all parts of the County. The home of the late Dr. Hasbrouck, located at the corner of State and Passaic Streets was rented from June 1896 for $40 a month.
The price of admission was set at $200 and the age for entering at 65 years. The ladies paid $45 per week, but since one of the three original residents did not have the required money she was accepted at$3 a week.
The Residence remains today, as it was in 1896, a non-profit organization. In 1909 a notice was placed in the Bergen Evening Record stating, "The Old Ladies Home of Bergen County finds it difficult to make ends meet these days!” If every farmer in Bergen County would plant one extra row of potatoes and donate the yield of that row, or the income from it, to the Home, the Treasurer would be able to keep the balance 'on the right side'” In 1901 they had moved into a new building at 266 Passaic Street specifically constructed to offer a gracious home with comfort and security. It was appropriate in 1965 that one of the residents, Mrs. Katherine Cutwater participated in the laying of the cornerstone for the addition of the new wing. Mrs. Outwater was 99 years old at the time. The Residence accommodates 50 guests.
The Bergen County Historical Society
Our interest in the history of our town and area is due in part to the work of this Society, organized by sixty-seven members in 1902. The headquarters of the Society, with an assembly room, depository of records and museum was in the Johnson Public Library building in Hackensack. By 1922 there were 600 members and, quoting the Westervelt book, "The museum is not only the resort of authors, newspaper writers, educators and the general public, but has won recognition as a necessary co-operative adjunct to what is known as the visual and tactile method of teaching, and is visited by large classes of pupils..."
While the headquarters of the Society is now at the historic Ackerman Zabriskie - Von Steuben House in River Edge, the Society's books, maps and documents are cared for currently in the Johnson Public Library's modern air-conditioned building and are conveniently available to persons interested in history.
Many of the books, newspaper articles, pictures, etc., which were our main source of information in assembling this book came from this Johnson Library collection of the Bergen County Historical Society.
Kiwanis The Kiwanis Club of Hackensack, active in the community for 55 years, is known by its Motto, "We Build". The members are drawn from the professional and business men in town and specialize in service to the youth. Kiwanis strives to build a better community and endeavors to develop leadership ability in the young through Key Clubs at the Hackensack High School and at the Bergen Technical and Vocational High School.
Dr. Wilson D. Webb was the first president when the club was organized, June 7, 1922, in the historic Hotel Martin on the "Green".
Over the years the club has been active in such multiple town activities as Boy Scouts, Sea Scouts, Girl Scouts, Community Chest and American Red Cross, and in expanding the work of Kiwanis by sponsoring new clubs in Englewood and other Bergen towns.
When Kiwanis went international in the 1900's, Hackensack's past president, William P.
Patterson, traveled to Australia and New Zealand to organize the first Kiwanis Clubs in these countries.
The Optimist Club of Hackensack This is an organization that does its best to live up to its slogan, "Friend of the Boy." For fifteen years the club has sponsored a Little League Team, for five years has sponsored a talent show at the Middle School and for three years has sponsored a Circus, entertaining approximately 10,000 children, free of charge. At weekly meetings pennies collected for a Milk Fund are turned over to the Conklin Home for Children in Hackensack, providing the milk there for almost the entire year. In all, the Optimist Club of Hackensack raises about $3,000 every year.
Operation Democracy - Friendship, Hackensack-Passau In 1952 Col. Garlock suggested "Operation Democracy" as a method of creating better understanding between former enemy countries of World War II The State Department assigned "sister cities", based on similarities of population, geography, etc.