«2012-2013 Report on Plans and Priorities THE HONOURABLE JAMES MOORE, P.C., M.P. MINISTER OF CANADIAN HERITAGE AND OFFICIAL LANGUAGES Table of ...»
This section presents the NBC’s program activities, expected results, performance indicators and related objectives. It also set outs the financial and human resources that will be allocated to each program activity. Two program activities support the strategic outcome: “Conservation and Development” and “Public Education and Services”.
Program Activity Description: Conservation and Development Through this activity, the NBC preserves the integrity of Battlefields Park for future generations by maintaining and improving, when required, infrastructure, landscaping and horticulture, and offering a safe site for Canadians and foreign users and visitors.
Section II: Analysis of Program Activities by Strategic Outcome - 11 Planning Highlights:
To preserve the Park over the long term and keep its facilities safe and in good condition, the
NBC plans to take the following steps:
- Carry out infrastructure repairs, in particular repaving certain areas and cleaning the cliff;
- Redevelop certain areas to minimize long-term maintenance;
- Implement its sustainable development action plan by involving managers, staff and Park users. The NBC plans to replace the Park’s lamppost light bulbs with more energyefficient ones and increase the number of recycling bins in the Park in order to collect waste more selectively.
If the NBC decides to allow Gilmour Hill to open for winter, major work will need to be carried out before the opening if funding for this work has been secured.
- 12 - The National Battlefields Commission Program Activity Description: Public Education and Services The purpose of this program activity is to showcase the history of the site and its sociocultural, recreational and natural aspects so as to emphasize its dual role as a historic and an urban park. In support of this activity, the NBC welcomes visitors, presents exhibits and educational activities and provides high-quality public services.
In order to achieve the expected result, the NBC will take the following steps:
- Provide quality public services (cross-country ski trails, sports and sanitary facilities) and educational services (exhibits and interpretive activities);
Highlight the 200th anniversary of the end of construction of the Martello Towers the only ones in the Province of Quebec) in 1812;
- Finish the Blockhouse development and develop the Dumont Mill archaeological site (Des Braves Park);
- Publish an information leaflet on the Martello Towers and the Blockhouse.
Section II: Analysis of Program Activities by Strategic Outcome - 13 Program Activity Description: Internal Services Internal Services support the achievement of the NBC’s strategic outcome and program activities in keeping with the NBC’s mandate and vision within the budget allocated and in accordance with government policies.
Internal Services are groups of related activities and resources that are administered to support the needs of the program activities and other obligations the NBC is subject to. These services are indispensable for the sound and responsible management of the NBC’s program activities.
These groups consist of administrative services, financial services, communications services, legal services, management and oversight services, information technology services, information management services, real property services, materiel services, acquisition services and payments in lieu of property taxes.
To achieve the expected result, the NBC will take the following steps:
- Carefully manage budgets (in particular basic controls and the preparation of a procedures manual);
- Reorganize following certain departures;
- Review the Park use policy;
- Manage human resources by implementing a new collective agreement and by preparing a succession plan;
- Actively promote the services offered to the public and new initiatives;
- Implement an artefact conservation and promotion action plan.
- 14 - The National Battlefields Commission SECTION III: Supplementary Information Financial Highlights The data presented in the following report provide a general and future-oriented overview of the NBC’s position and financial operations. These data are presented on an accrual basis in order to strengthen accountability and improve transparency and financial management.
All Future-Oriented Financial Statements may be viewed by clicking on that title on the following Internet page: http://www.ccbn-nbc.gc.ca/_en/rapports.php?section=8 Future-Oriented Financial Statements (Summary)
- Greening Government Operations
- Source of Respendable Revenue
- Upcoming Internal Audits http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/rpp/2011-2012/index-eng.asp.
Internet Address: www.ccbn-nbc.gc.ca
André Beaudet, Commission Secretary e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Louise Germain, Assistant Secretary e-mail: email@example.com Anne Chouinard, Executive Assistant e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Paule Veilleux, Financial Services Agent e-mail: email@example.com The National Battlefields Commission 390 de Bernières Avenue Québec, Quebec G1R 2L7 Telephone: 418-648-3506 Facsimile: 418-648-3638