«The Authority sustains the environment, culture and community and promotes understanding and enjoyment of the Snowdonia National Park PARC ...»
Snowdonia National Park Authority
The Minutes Book
The Authority sustains the environment,
culture and community and promotes
understanding and enjoyment of
the Snowdonia National Park
PARC CENEDLAETHOL ERYRI
lle i enaid gael llonydd
SNOWDONIA NATIONAL PARK
one of Britain’s breathing spaces The Minutes Volume This volume contains the minutes of meetings of the Snowdonia National Park Authority 2010-2011.
1. AUTHORITY MEETINGS28 April 2010 1–4 9 June 2010 5 – 14 23 June 2010 15 – 16 16 July 2010 17 – 18 15 September 2010 19 – 25 1 December 2010 26 – 32 15 December 2010 33 – 38 2 February 2011 39 – 46
2. PLANNING & ACCESS COMMITTEE28 April 2010 47 – 51 26 May 2010 52 – 56 30 June 2010 57 – 63 28 July 2010 64 – 67 1 September 2010 68 – 72 6 October 2010 73 – 77 10 November 2010 78 – 84 8 December 2010 85 – 89 26 January 2010 90 – 94 9 March 2011 95 – 100
3. STANDARDS COMMITTEE21 April 2010 101 – 102 20 October 2010 103 – 105 Page Nos.
4. PERFORMANCE AND RESOURCES COMMITTEE
SNOWDONIA NATIONAL PARK AUTHORITYWEDNESDAY 28th APRIL, 2010 Councillor E. Caerwyn Roberts (Gwynedd) (Chairman)
Members appointed by Gwynedd Council Councillors T.G. Ellis, A. Gruffydd, H.P. Hughes, J.R. Jones, D. Siencyn, G.O. Williams, G.G. Williams;
Members appointed by Conwy County Borough Council Councillors G.O. Edwards, H.G. Hall, W.E. Jones;
Members appointed by the Welsh Assembly Government Dr. I. ap Gwynn, Mrs. M. June Jones, Mr. D.P. McAteer, Mr. J.L. Morgan, Mr. D.L.
Officers Mr. A. Phillips, Mr. D. Edwards, Mr. A. Sturkey, Mr. G.I. Jones, Mr. J. Ablitt, Mrs. J. Worrall, Mrs. A. Gaffey, Mrs. S. Roberts.
Apology Councillor E. Edwards.
1. Chairman’s Announcements (1) The Chairman referred with sadness to the death of the Authority’s former Vice-Chairman, Mr. Geraint George, who had made an invaluable contribution to the Snowdonia National Park and to the family of National Parks over the last 10 years, as a Member and also as a past member of the Authority’s staff. The Chairman, on behalf of Members, extended the Authority’s deepest sympathy to Mr George’s family. Members and officers stood as a mark of respect.
(2) The Chairman, on behalf of Members, conveyed best wishes to Catrin Euros, the Authority Translator, who had recently undergone hospital treatment.
(3) The Chairman reported upon a recent meeting, by video link, with the Environment Minister. The Authority’s financial position was discussed in detail with proposed year on year cuts predicted over the next four years. A further meeting with the Minister will be held in July and a further meeting was proposed during the Royal Welsh Show.
(6) The Chairman welcomed Mr. Gareth Clubb, the newly appointed Director of the Snowdonia Society, to the meeting.
2. Public Question Time Members were informed that no public questions had been received.
3. Declaration of Interests No declarations of personal interest were made in respect of any item.
4. Minutes The minutes of the Authority meeting held on 10th February 2010 were accepted and the Chairman signed them as a true record.
Arising thereon, Item (10) Request to include Blaenau Ffestiniog in the National Park The Chief Executive advised that he had been in contact the Chief Executive of the Countryside Council for Wales and that their formal response was still awaited.
5. April Annual Report and Improvement Plan Submitted – A report by the Director of Corporate and Legal Services seeking Member approval to the April Annual Report and Improvement Plan.
Reported – The Director of Corporate and Legal services advised that the key information had previously been reported to members and was now being presented in the new format.
Members considered the Annual Report and Improvement Plan and made the following observations:the spelling of “Glastir” should be corrected throughout the document. Arising thereon, Members raised concerns that the Glastir project would not achieve its aim.
- Members asked for clarification on the projected baseline net budget totals under Section 2 item 1 Corporate Objectives. Following further discussion members accepted the information, as submitted.
- Section 4 table should include “£” sign to clarify what the figures represent.
- in response to concerns by Members, the Chief Executive confirmed that he was satisfied with the proposed reduction in the staff training budget.
- concern by a Member that a strategic document referred to “the development of water based opportunities” was noted.
RESOLVED subject to amendments as outlined and subject to delegating authority to the Chief Executive to update or amend Section 5 of the Annual Report and Improvement Plan, to adopt the April (first stage) Annual Report and Improvement Plan and approve the publication of the Plan in accordance with the guidelines.
6. Draft HR Strategy Submitted – A report by the Director of Corporate and Legal Services to approve the Draft HR Strategy.
Reported – The Director of Corporate and Legal Services presented the report and advised that the Draft HR Strategy was a general document which focussed on the Authority’s employees. He advised that voluntary and compulsory redundancies were dealt with under a separate criteria, previously approved by the Authority.
Members considered the Draft HR Strategy and made the following observations:to correct the spelling of “Glastir” throughout the document.
- to include under “Ethnicity” that the ethnic origin of the Authority reflects society and the local communities.
- 5.4 Recruitment and Selection – Members discussed staffing levels in the Development Control and Compliance Service and were advised that external assistance was being sought to assist with the work. Members also noted that the number of new planning applications had reduced both locally and on a national level.
RESOLVED subject to amendments as outlined, to adopt the HR Strategy as submitted.
7. W.L.G.A. Annual Conference, Venue Cymru, Llandudno - 16/17 June, 2010 Submitted – An oral report by the Chief Executive on the forthcoming W.L.G.A.
Annual Conference, together with details and a summary of attendance, for information.
RESOLVED that Councillor E.C. Roberts, Councillor H.G. Hall, Councillor G.O.
Williams and Mrs. M. June Jones should accompany the Chief Executive to the Welsh Local Government Association Annual Conference as representatives of the Authority. Councillor Alwyn Griffiths was elected as reserve member.
8. Calendar of Meetings Submitted – A timetable of meetings for the period 2010/2011.
RESOLVED to approve the timetable as submitted.
9. Member Working and Advisory Group Reports Submitted - reports from Working and Advisory Group meetings.
(1) Members Working Group Submitted – Minutes of the Members Working Group held on the 27th January, 2010.
RESOLVED to note the minutes.
RESOLVED to note the report.
(3) Celyn, Tegid and Tryweryn Advisory Conference Submitted – Report of the Celyn, Tegid and Tryweryn Advisory Conference held on 24th February, 2010.
RESOLVED to note the report.
10. Meetings of other Organisations Submitted - Reports on recent meetings of organisations which Members had attended as representatives of the Authority.
− Mr. D. McAteer Members were provided with a summary report of discussions at the Campaign for National Parks’ meeting in London on the 12th March, 2010.
− Mr. J.L. Morgan and Cllr. G.O. Edwards – NPA Members Workshop 2010 Councillor G.O. Edwards and Mr. John Morgan had recently attended the Members’ Workshop in Llanelli. The theme for the 2010 Members Workshop was Sustainable Transport across the National Park family. Members reported that the Workshop had highlighted that all the Parks experience similar challenges to those faced by the Authority.
RESOLVED to thank Members and note the reports.
11. Voluntary Redundancies Schedule 12A Local Government Act 1972 : Exemption from disclosure of documents Submitted – A report by the Director of Corporate and Legal Services requesting Authority approval for the exemption of the subsequent report.
RESOLVED that the subsequent “Voluntary Redundancies” report be exempt from disclosure for the reasons outlined in the report.
12. Voluntary Redundancies Submitted – A report by the Chief Executive to consider whether to approve or reject applications for voluntary redundancies.
Reported – The Chief Executive presented the report and provided Members with further details. He explained that the annual savings figure had been estimated because of the amalgamation of two posts which would then be subject to evaluation. The Director of Corporate and Legal Services advised that a revised structure was already in place for the other post.
Members appointed by Gwynedd Council Councillors E. Edwards, A. Gruffydd, H.P. Hughes, J.R. Jones, E.C. Roberts, D. Siencyn, G.O. Williams;
Member appointed by Conwy County Borough Council Councillor H.G. Hall;
Members appointed by the Welsh Assembly Government Dr. Iolo ap Gwynn, Mrs. M. June Jones, Mr. D.P. McAteer, Mr. J.L. Morgan, Mr. D.L. Roberts.
Officers Mr. A. Phillips, Mr. D. Edwards, Mr. G.I. Jones, Mr. J. Ablitt, Mr. A. Sturkey, Mr. E. Williams, Mr. E. Roberts, Mr. P. Trumper, Mrs. A. Gaffey, Mrs. S. Roberts.
Apologies Councillors T.G. Ellis, G.O. Edwards, W.E. Jones, G.G. Williams.
1. Chairman The Director of Corporate and Legal Services advised Members that in accordance with Standing Orders 5.2 and 5.3, he had received nominations proposing Councillor E.C. Roberts for Chairman.
Councillor E.C. Roberts was elected Chairman of the Authority.
The Chairman thanked Members for their support and referred to the challenges facing the Authority in future years. The Chairman also thanked the Authority’s Management Team and staff for their support.
2. Vice-Chairman The Director of Corporate and Legal Services advised Members that in accordance with Standing Orders 5.2 and 5.3, he had received nominations proposing Dr. Iolo ap Gwynn for Vice-Chairman and a nomination proposing Cllr. Goronwy Edwards for Vice-Chairman.
Dr. Iolo ap Gwynn was elected Vice-Chairman of the Authority.
The Vice-Chairman thanked Members for their support.
3. Chairman’s Announcements (1) The Chairman was delighted to announce that Hafod Eryri had received the “Project of the Year” award from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors Wales (RICS Wales), also the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) had concluded that Hafod Eryri should be one of seven buildings in Wales to be praised for the quality of their design and contribution to the local environment. The Chairman thanked everyone for their work and commitment, and gave special thanks to the Authority’s Property Manager, Mr. Peter Trumper.
5 (2) The Chairman advised that Mrs. Iris Margretta Jones, a former member of the Snowdonia National Park Authority, had recently suffered a stroke. The Chairman had visited Mrs. Jones at Machynlleth hospital and had conveyed best wishes on behalf of the Authority.
(3) Members were provided with a copy of the booklet “Sustainable Landscapes, Breathing Spaces” which had been jointly prepared and funded by the three National Parks in Wales and the five Welsh Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The booklet provided details on how Welsh National Park Authorities and AONB Joint Advisory Committees meet the Welsh Assembly Government’s agenda. The document will receive its formal launch at the Royal Welsh Show.
4. Public Question Time Members were informed that no public questions had been received.
5. Declaration of Interest All Members declared a personal interest in item 12 on the Agenda, under paragraph 10 (2) (c) (i) of the Code of Conduct for Members.
6. Membership of the Authority Submitted - The Chief Executive’s report on current membership of the Authority.
Arising thereon, it was agreed that Members who wanted their mobile telephone numbers included in the report, should confirm this by email with the Member Services Officer.
RESOLVED to note the report.
7. Minutes Subject to noting a correction to the spelling of Councillor Alwyn Gruffydd, the minutes of the Authority meeting held on 28th April, 2010 were accepted, and the Chairman signed them as a true record.
Arising thereon, Item 1 (3) – Chairman’s Announcements The Chairman advised that both the Chairman and the Chief Executive would be going to Cardiff to meet the Environment Minister on the 12th July.
Item 1 (5) – Chairman’s Announcements The Chairman advised that interviews to appoint a new Welsh Assembly Member had taken place and, following Ministerial approval, the appointment should be confirmed by the middle of July.
Item 4 – Minutes The Chief Executive provided an update on the request to include Blaenau Ffestiniog in the National Park. He advised that the Countryside Council for Wales’ guidance was currently being trialled, and the outcome was some months away.
8. Appointment of Members to serve on Committees, Panels, Working Groups and External Representation.
Submitted - A report by the Chief Executive to appoint Members to serve on the following Committees, Panels, Working Groups and External Representation.
1. to appoint Members as follows:COMMITTEES
i) Planning and Access Committee - All Authority Members.
ii) Performance and Resources Committee Councillors T.G. Ellis, A. Gruffydd, H.G. Hall, J.R. Jones, W.E. Jones, G.G.