«Kinetic Investigations of Thiolate Protected Gold Nanoparticles: Protein Interactions, Electron Transfer, and Precursor Formation By Brian N. Turner ...»
181. Hendra, P. J. (1967) Raman Spectra of Complex Anions of Formula Mx4nWhere M Is Au3 Pt2 or Pd2 and X Is a Halogen Atom. J Chem Soc A, 1298-&.
182. Bekker, P. V. Z. and Robb, W. (1972) Kinetics of Hydrolysis of Tetrachloroaurate(III) Anion in Aqueous Perchloric-Acid. Inorg Nuc Chem Lett, 8, 849-&.
183. Peterson, R. R. and Cliffel, D. E. (2005) Continuous free-flow electrophoresis of water-soluble monolayer-protected clusters. Analytical Chemistry, 77, 4348-4353.
184. Rodahl, M., Hook, F., Fredriksson, C., Keller, C. A., Krozer, A., Brzezinski, P., Voinova, M. and Kasemo, B. (1997) Simultaneous frequency and dissipation factor QCM measurements of biomolecular adsorption and cell adhesion.
Faraday Discussions, 107, 229-246.
185. Li, J. H., Liang, Y. and Xie, Y. X. (2006) Modified palladium-catalyzed sonogashira cross-coupling reactions under copper-, amine-, and solvent-free conditions. J Org Chem, 71, 379-381.
186. Urgaonkar, S. and Verkade, J. G. (2004) Ligand-, copper-, and amine-free Sonogashira reaction of aryl iodides and bromides with terminal alkynes. J Org Chem, 69, 5752-5755.
187. Krause, N. and Thorand, S. (1998) Improved procedures for the palladiumcatalyzed coupling of terminal Alkynes with aryl bromides (Sonogashira coupling). J Org Chem, 63, 8551-8553.
188. Bailey, W. F. and Wachter-Jurcsak, N. In Encyclopedia of Reactions for Organic Synthesis.
189. Martensson, J., Kajanus, J., van Berlekom, S. B. and Albinsson, B. (1999) Synthesis of bis(phenylethynyl)arylene-linked diporphyrins designed for studies of intramolecular energy transfer. Synth-Stuttgart, 1155-1162.
190. Brase, S. and Kreis, M. (2005) A general and efficient method for the synthesis of silyl-protected arenethiols from aryl halides or triflates. Adv Synth Catal, 347, 313-319.
Education Post-Doctoral Training, Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Dayton, November 2011 – Present Advisor: Dr. Scott A. Gold Research: Application of Nanomaterials to 3-Dimensional Materials Printing PhD, Chemistry, Vanderbilt University, December 2011 Advisor: Dr. David E. Cliffel Dissertation: Kinetic Investigations of Thiolate Protected Gold Nanoparticles: Protein Interaction, Electron Transfer, and Precursor Formation BS, Chemistry (cum laude), University of Dayton, May 2005 Advisor: Dr. Shawn M. Swavey Thesis: Synthesis and characterization of a tridentate ligand with pyridyl, thioether, and phenolate donors and its copper(II) complexes Honors Diploma (cum laude), North Royalton High School, June 2001 Publications Harkness, K.M.; Hixson, B.C.; Fenn, L.S.; Turner, B.N.; Rape, A.C.; Simpson, C.A.;
Huffman, B.J.; McLean, J.A.; Cliffel, D.E. A Structural Mass Spectrometry Strategy for the Relative Quantitation of Ligands on Mixed Monolayer-Protected Gold Nanoparticles. Anal. Chem., 2010, 49,10858-10866 Huffman, B.J.; Turner, B. N.; Cliffel, D.E. Nanoparticle-based biologic mimetics. In Nanomedicine; Baker, J.R. and Ahmad, A., Eds.; Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews;
John Wiley and Sons: Hoboken, NJ, 2008; 1(Jan./Feb. 2009), 47-59.
Turner, B. and Swavey, S. Synthesis and characterization of a mononuclear copper (II) complex with pyridyl, thioether, and phenolate donors. Inorg. Chem. Comm. 2007, 10(2), 209-211.
Manuscripts in Preparation Zhang, Y.; Turner, B.N.; Krim, M.; Swartz, J.D.; Wright, D.W.; Crowe, J.E., Jr.; Cliffel, D.E. A Quartz Crystal Microbalance Immunosensor for Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus and Nanoparticle Biomimics. 2012.
Turner, B.N.; Harkness, K.M.; Balinski, A.; Cliffel, D.E. Kinetic study of formation of gold-tiopronin precursor complexes in the synthesis of water soluble gold nanoparticles. 2012.
Agrawal, A.C; Turner, B.N.; Cliffel, D.E. Untitled work on peptide presenting gold nanoparticles in vivo. 2012.
Crisostomo, D.A.; Turner, B.N.; Hijazi, F.M.; Chen, G.P.; Cliffel, D.E. Wired Gold Nanoparticles. 2012.
Conference Presentations Turner, B.N.; Chen, G.; Hijazi, F.M.; Cliffel, D.E. Wired Gold Nanoparticles. Oral presentation at The 62nd Annual Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy, Atlanta, GA, March 2011.
Turner, B.N.; Cliffel, D.E.; Wiring Gold Monolayer Protected Clusters. Poster presented at The 240th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Boston, MA, August 2010.
Turner, B.N.; Rutledge, R.D.; Zhang, Y.; Crowe, J.E., Jr.; Wright, D.W.; Cliffel, D.E.
Biomimetic Monolayer Protected Clusters for Immunosensor Calibration. Oral presentation given at The 60th Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Nashville, TN, November 2008.
Turner, B.N.; Zhang, Y.; Rutledge, R.D.; Crowe, J.E., Jr.; Wright, D.W.; Peptide presenting gold monolayer protected clusters as human respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein mimics; Poster presented at The 59th Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Greenville, SC, October 2007.
Turner, B.N.; Zhang, Y.; Broncel, M.; Crowe, J.E., Jr.; Wright, D.W.; Cliffel, D.E.; A Quartz Crystal Microbalance Immunosensor for Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus and Gold Nanoparticle Mimics for Calibration; Poster presented at The 58th Annual Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy, Chicago, IL, February 2007.
Teaching Experience Undergraduate Instructor University of Dayton (Fall 2004 –Spring 2005) Courses: General Chemistry Lab I Graduate Instructor Vanderbilt University (2005-2007) Courses: General Chemistry Lab I Organic Chemistry Lab II Instrumental Analysis Lab Private Tutor Nashville, TN (2006-2010) Courses: General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, High School Chemistry and Algebra Research Interests Gold nanoparticle synthesis and characterization.
Applications of gold nanoparticles to life science, materials science, and catalysis.
Sensor and assay development.
Chemical kinetics Skills Synthesis: Organic compounds, Inorganic complexes, Gold nanoparticles, Peptides Instrumental Techniques: 1H NMR, Mass Spectrometry, Transmission Electron Microscopy, Electrochemistry, Spectroelectochemistry, Scanning Electrochemical Microscopy, UV-Vis Spectroscopy, FT-IR Spectroscopy, Quartz Crystal Microbalance, Semi-prep HPLC Other Techniques: ELISA, Chromatography Languages: Novice level German Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, ChemOffice, Image J, instrument specific software such as Bruker TopSpin.
Honors, Awards, and Affiliations Dawson Fellowship (Vanderbilt, outstanding entering chemistry graduate) Graduate Teaching Assistantship (Vanderbilt) Graduate Research Assistantship (Vanderbilt) Bernard J. Katchmann Scholarship (U. Dayton, outstanding entering chemistry major) Carl I. Michaelis Scholarship (U. Dayton, outstanding chemistry major upperclassman) University of Dayton President’s Scholarship (U. Dayton, high GPA and ACT score) President, Student Affiliates of the ACS, 2004-2005
-Founder, Science Day with the Dakota Center, in collaboration with other UD science clubs, for inner-city children (2005) Secretary, Student Affiliates of the ACS, 2003-2004 Amnesty International (UD Chapter)