«DIPLOMA THESIS Linking Climate Change with Food Security in the highlands of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Northwest Pakistan Presented by: Martin Kienzler ...»
Mishra, J.V. Revadekar, K. Kamala & G.B. Pant (2006): High-resolution climate change scenarios for India for the 21st century. - Current Science, 90, 3: 334– Saeed, F., S. Hagemann & D. Jacob (2009): Impact of irrigation on the South Asian summer monsoon. - Geophysical Research Letters, 36, 20: 1–7 Saeed, F., S. Hagemann & D. Jacob (2011): A framework for the evaluation of the South Asian summer monsoon in a regional climate model applied to REMO. International Journal of Climatology Salzmann, N, C Huggel, P Calanca, T Jonas, C Jurt, T Konzelmann, P Lagos, M Rohrer, W Silverio & M Zappa (2009): Integrated assessment and adaptation to climate change impacts in the Peruvian Andes. - Advances in Geosciences, 22: 35–39 SARC (2011): Summer Agrciculture Research Station, Kaghan Sarfaraz (2007): Monsoon dynamics: Its behavioral impact in Pakistanâs perspective.
- Pakistan Journal of Meteorology, 4, 7: 55–73 Schickhoff, U. (1993): Das Kaghan-Tal im Westhimalaya (Pakistan). - Bonner Geographische Abhandlungen, 87: 1–268 Schickhoff, U. (1995): Himalayan forest-cover changes in historical perspective: A case study in the Kaghan valley, Northern Pakistan. - Mountain Research and Development, 15, 1: 3–18 Schmidhuber, J. & F.N. Tubiello (2007): Global food security under climate change.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 104, 50: 19703–19708 Schönwiese, C.-D. (2006): Praktische Statistik für Meteorologen und Geowissenschaftler, 4. Auﬂ., Berlin, Stuttgart: Gebrüder Borntraeger, 302 pp.
Shahbaz, B., T. Ali, I.A. Khan & M. Ahmad (2010): An analysis of the problems faced by farmers in the mountains of Northwest Pakistan: Challenges for Agri.
Extension. - Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 47, 4: 417–420
Sheikh, M. Munir, M. Mohsin Iqbal, Ghazanfar Ali & Arshad M. Khan (2010): Global warming in the context of Pakistan: Major concerns and remedial strategies. - Symposium on "Changing Environmental Pattern and its impact with Special Focus on Pakistan". Global Change Impact Studies Centre (GCISC), Islamabad, Pakistan,, Paper No. 287 Singh, S.P., I. Bassignana-Khadka, B.S. Karky & E. Sharma (2011): Climate Change in the Hindu Kush-Himalayas - The State of Current Knowledge. - International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Kathmandu, Nepal Sivakumar, M.V.K. & R. Stefanski (2011): Climate Change in South Asia, - R. Lal, M.V.K. Sivakumar, S.M.A. Faiz, A.H.M. Mustafizur Rahman & K.R. Islam (Hg.) Climate Change and Food Security in South Asia, Springer, Chapter 2, 13–30 Sultana, H., N. Ali, M. Mohsin Iqbal & Arshad M. Khan (2009): Vulnerability and adaptability of wheat production in diﬀerent climatic zones of Pakistan under climate change scenarios. - Climatic Change, 94, 1-2: 123–142 Syed, F.S. (2011): On the intra-seasonal to decadal climate variability over South-Asia.
- Stockholm University, 1–30 Thomas, D. S. G., C. Twyman, H. Osbahr & B. Hewitson (2007): Adaptation to climate change and variability: farmer responses to intra-seasonal precipitation trends in South Africa. - Climatic Change, 83: 301–322 Trenberth, K.E. et al. (2007): Observations: Surface and Atmospheric Climate, In: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press Treydte, K.S., G.H. Schleser, G. Helle, D.C. Frank, M. Winiger, G.H. Haug & J. Esper (2006): The twentieth century was the wettest period in northern Pakistan over the past millennium. - Nature, 440, 27: 1179–82 Troll, C. & K.H. Paffen (1964): Karte der Jahreszeitenklimate der Erde. - Erdkunde, 18: 5–28 Tubiello, N. T., J.-F. Soussana & M. Howden (2007): Crop and pasture response to climate change. - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 104, 50: 19686–19690 ul Islam, S., N. Rehman & M. Munir Sheikh (2009): Future change in the frequency of warm and cold spells over Pakistan simulated by the PRECIS regional climate model.
- Climatic Change, 94, 1-2: 35–45 von Braun, J. (2007): The World Food Situation: New Driving Forces and Required Actions, IFPRIâs Biannual Overview of the World Food Situation presented to the CGIAR Annual General Meeting held in Beijing, China, in December 2007.
von Storch, H. & F. W. Zwiers (2004): Statistical Analysis in Climate Research, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 484 pp.
Wang, B. & LinHo (2002): Rainy Season of the AsianâPaciﬁc Summer Monsoon. Journal of Climate, 15: 386–398 Wang, S.-Y., R. E. Davies, W.-R. Huang & R. R. Gillies (2011): Pakistanâs twoâstage monsoon and links with the recent climate change. - Journal of Geophysical Research, 116: 1–15 Xue, Y. & M. Yanai (2005): Asia, Climate of South, - J.E. Oliver (Hg.) Encyclopedia of World Climatology, 115–120 Yadav, R.R., W. Park, J. Singh & B. Dubey (2004): Do the western Himalayas defy global warming? - Geophysical Research Letters, 31, 17: 1–5 Appendix A - Interview Guide Part I - Agriculture
• Do you plant your crops mainly for your own food supply, fodder production, or do you sell it?
• Do you plant crops in kharif season as well as in rabi season?
– If yes, was there a time when you couldn’t plant crops in rabi season?
– If not, do you think it will be possible in future?
• What kind of crops do you plant in – kharif season (Jun-Sept)?
– rabi season (Nov-Apr)?
• Do you plant other crops/varieties now than (30yrs) before?
– If yes: which, since when and why?
• Growing Season Length: Do you realize changes in Growing Season Length / Vegetation Period?
• Sowing Date: Do you seed the crops on an earlier/later date nowadays than (30yrs) before?
• Harvest Date: Do you harvest the crops on an earlier/later date nowadays than (30yrs) before?
• Can crops be grown in higher elevations than previously? How much higher?
• Could you estimate the amount of yields of your crops?
• Have crop yields changed signiﬁcantly over the last years?
– Why do you think they have changed?
• If yes, could you estimate the amount of change (positive/negative)?
• Did the yields of diﬀerent crops change diﬀerently?
• Do you use chemical fertilizer?
– If you do, since when?
– positive/negative impact?
• Do you realize diﬀerences/changes in the level/volume of the rivers/streams?
• Do you have to irrigate your ﬁelds artiﬁcially?
• Do you need more water now for planting the crops than before (30yrs)?
• Do you have problems in getting enough water?
Part II - Livestock
• Do you also practice livestock breeding?
– If yes, is livestock serving as additional income or else?
• If yes, what kind of animals do you have and how much?
• Were you able to enlarge your livestock in the last years?
• Are you able to lead your herds in areas at higher elevation now than before?
• Are you facing problems of fodder supply? Why?
• Is agriculture your only source of income?
• If not, what kind of sources of income do you else have?
Part III - Climate (all questions compared to 30yrs before)
• Do you realize changes in day / night temperature in summer?
• Do you realize changes in day / night temperature in winter?
• Do you realize that there are more / less frost days?
• Is there more / less rain falling now than before in summer months?
• Is there more / less rain falling now than before in winter months?
• Are there more intensive rain showers?
• Are there more drought periods / longer periods with high temperature and scarce rain?
• Is snow coming earlier / later in winter now?
• Do you realize changes regarding the surrounding glaciers?
Hiermit erkläre ich, dass ich die von mir am heutigen Tage dem Prüfungsausschuss der Philosophischen Fakultät I eingereichte Diplomarbeit zum Thema
vollkommen selbständig verfasst und keine anderen als die angegebenen Quellen und Hilfsmittel benutzt sowie Zitate kenntlich gemacht habe.
Würzburg, den 16. Februar 2012