«UCC/UGC/ECCC Proposal for New Academic Plan Fall 2016 If this new plan is not listed in the current NAU academic program inventory, then you must ...»
Proposal for New Academic Plan
If this new plan is not listed in the current NAU academic program inventory, then you must first
complete the academic planning framework
If this new certificate will be eligible for federal financial aid, then please submit the gainful
All Plans with NCATE/CAEP designation, or plans seeking NCATE/CAEP designation, must
include an NCATE/CAEP Accreditation Memo of Approval from the NAU NCATE/CAEP
administrator prior to submission.
UCC proposals must include an 8-term plan (if applicable).
UGC proposals must include a program of study.
1. College: College of Education 2. Academic Unit: Educational Psychology Psychology of Human Development and
3. Academic Plan Name: 4. Emphasis: None Learning GCRT
5. Plan proposal: New Plan New Emphasis
6. Justification for the new plan or certificate, including how the need for the plan was determined.
Please also address how it is designed to meet local market, professional requirements, employment opportunities, or other needs.
NAU currently offers a 30-credit M.Ed. in Human Relations degree. This program is available online as well as in-person. An 18-hour graduate certificate in the Psychology of Human Development and Learning can be added using courses that are all part of this program and are also part of other graduate programs in the department. The addition of this graduate certificate will assist current and potential community college faculty to meet Higher Learning Commission (HLC) requirements for instructional competence. This certificate will also help high school teachers who teach an introductory psychology class that enables high school students to earn dual credit (high school and community college). This certificate will provide us with an opportunity to increase our graduate enrollment as well document the students who need classes in this area to help them meet the HLC requirements for instructional competence. According to personal communication with Extended Campuses administration and information on the Maricopa website, there appears to be a strong need for courses in this area. This program will also assist other working professionals in the business sector as well as K-12 education that need to expand their knowledge in the area of learning and human behavior and do not wish to pursue the master’s degree.
Effective Fall 2015
7. Student learning outcomes of the plan. If structured as plan/emphasis, include for both core and emphasis. (Resources, Examples & Tools for DevelopingEffective Program Student Learning Outcomes)
1. Integrate psychological theory and empirical evidence on human development and learning to determine research-based educational practice.
2. Analyze the role of context, including racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity in informing the interpretation of psychological theories, applied to educational settings.
3. Employ statistical and measurement theory and practice in the design and use of human development and learning assessment.
4. Integrate effective critical thinking skills in a human development and learning context.
8. Academic Catalog text and requirements:
8a. Text to be displayed in the Academic Description field in the academic catalog (max 3
The purpose of this graduate certificate is to provide instruction on the psychology of human behavior and development with a focus on its application to the learning process within the context of diversity.
8b. Text (including the marketing description) to be displayed on the Career tab in the
academic catalog (max 3 paragraphs):
Whether your career has taken you into business, the military, or education, the Psychology of Learning certificate program can help you achieve an advanced understanding of human behavior and the learning process, as well as understanding basic statistics and measurement and the application of this knowledge in the assessment of learning.
8c. Text to be displayed on the Overview tab in the academic catalog (max 3 paragraphs):
Complete individual plan requirements 8d. Plan requirements to be displayed on the “Details” tab in the academic catalog. If the plan
requires an emphasis, include summary text for each emphasis:
ADDITIONAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSAdmission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
NAU Graduate Online application required for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
Transcripts For details on graduate admission policies, please visit the Graduate Admissions Policy International applicants have additional admission requirements. Please see the International Graduate Admissions Policy
Individual program admission requirements include:
Effective Fall 2015 Personal / Professional Essays
GRADUATE CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS
Take the following 18 units:
EPS 525, EPS 580, EPS 591, EPS 596, EPS 605, EPS 664 (18 units)
9. Will this proposal impact other plans, sub plans, or course offerings, etc.? Yes No If yes, list and include evidence of notification to and/or response from each impacted academic unit as necessary.
While coursework is part of existing plan in the department, we have had communication with the Department of Psychology as we developed this plan to ascertain if they wished to partner with us.
There was partial support to partner with us with concern about resources.
12. An emphasis is differentiated from another emphasis by required course commonality: 15 units of the required coursework to complete the emphasis must be unique, (i.e. not common or not dual use as a required element in another emphasis), to that emphasis. Do the emphases each have 15 units of unique required credit? Yes No
13. An undergraduate certificate is differentiated from another certificate by required course commonality: 12 units of the required coursework to complete the certificate must be unique (i.e. not common or not dual use as a required element in another certificate), to that certificate. Does this certificate have 12 units of unique required credit? Yes No
Answer 15-18 for UGC only:
15 Master’s degrees are differentiated from one another by required curriculum and course commonality: at least 12 units of required coursework to complete the degree must be unique (i.e.
not common or for dual use as a required element in another degree).
Does this degree contain at least 12 unique units of required credit? Yes No
16. Emphases within a Master’s degree are differentiated by required curriculum and course commonality: at least 9 units of required coursework to complete the emphasis must be unique (i.e.
not common or not dual use as a required element in another emphasis).
Do emphases contain at least 9 unique units of required credit? Yes No
Division Curriculum Committee (Yuma, Yavapai, or Personalized Learning) Date Division Administrator in Extended Campuses (Yuma, Yavapai, or Personalized Date Learning) Faculty Chair of Extended Campuses Curriculum Committee (Yuma, Yavapai, or Date Personalized Learning)
Effective Fall 2015 From: Ramona N Mellott Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:08 PM To: Ann Hergatt Huffman Ann.Huffman@nau.edu Cc: Robert E Till Robert.Till@nau.edu; Robert Horn Robert.Horn@nau.edu Subject: RE: Grad Certificate Dear Ann, Thank you so much for getting back to me and the feedback and the options that were recommended by the faculty in Psychological Sciences. I shared your recommendations with the faculty who are associated and have contributed to the development of this certificate and they reviewed your feedback and have decided to go with an alternative title which seems to have the broadest level of support—Psychology of Learning and Human Development. Based on my conversations with EC and the need for this certificate for Community College Instructors it was important to have Psychology in the title. Faculty felt that we should avoid “teaching” in the title since we do not really provide specific training in that aspect and they were afraid that “Psychological” connotes something too close to clinical. Others felt that talking about principles is too limiting, since statistics is included which is more of a methods course. Thanks again for your feedback and input. Sincerely, Ramona From: Ann Hergatt Huffman Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2016 11:14 AM To: Ramona N Mellott Ramona.Mellott@nau.edu Cc: Robert E Till Robert.Till@nau.edu Subject: Grad Certificate
I wanted to get back to you concerning the grad certificate. I spoke with our graduate committee. Overall, no one related any concerns over the College of Education taking on this certificate.
The only issue that came up was the title of the certificate. There was concern over the title "Psychology of Learning."
Some suggestions that were made were:
- Educational Psychology of Learning
- Psychological Principles of Teaching and Learning
- Human Development, Teaching, and Learning
- Principles of Human Development and Learning If the title is changed, this email provides our (Psychological Sciences) support for College of Education development of this certificate. If you want to discuss the title in more detail, let me know.
Best, Ann Ann Hergatt Huffman, Ph.D.
Northern Arizona University Associate Professor Department of Psychological Sciences Graduate Coordinator Associate Professor WA Franke College of Business email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone: 928-523-5881
Effective Fall 2015